Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Monday, October 17, 2011

Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye


Rye beers can be hard to find. They are one of my favorite styles but because they aren't that popular, there aren't too many out there for me to choose from. Consequently, when I shop for beer they don't often come to mind because I don't usually see them - a classic case of "out of sight, out of mind." Flying Bison (here in Buffalo, NY) made a rye beer once but you could only get it at the brewery, and they only made one batch. You can probably guess why they only made it once - it wasn't popular. I let my lamentations be known to them but they pretty much just shrugged and said "Too bad, so sad." As much as I regret their decision, I'd rather they not waste their time (and lose potential profits) making something that only I would drink.

As you can guess from the name, Rye beers include rye with the usual ingredients (barley, hops, water, yeast). They tend to have higher ABVs (7.5-8.5%) so they are a drier beer but have a delicious spicy nose and taste from the rye grain. Maybe my Germanic roots plant a love of this grain into my being? I also tend to prefer the flavor of rye whiskey over most other American whiskies. I think I should open my bottle of rye and write about that soon too...

Back to the beer! This particular rye beer is an IPA-inspired rye, so it is a pretty hoppy beer as well. Unfortunately, I ruined my palate this evening with my dinner (a Moroccan-spiced red lentil dish) so I can only reflect on the basic aspects of this beer. However, at this most basic level, the combination of spicy rye and citrusy hops make this beer much more interesting than your "normal" rye beer. Neither aroma overpowers the other and they weave together to coat the tongue with a well-balanced flavor. The only problem is that there is a lot of alcohol on the nose - and it's only 7.5% ABV. This masks some of the other aromas which I cannot get pickup in the taste due to my previously-mentioned ruined palate. Nevertheless, a thoroughly enjoyable beer.

Keep on the lookout for this, and other, rye beers. They are often forgotten and I'm not sure why...

No comments: