Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Friday, October 28, 2011

It was a "Dark n' Stormy" night...



In honor of Halloween I am writing about, you guessed it, the Dark n' Stormy.

I have to be honest here - I am not a fan of rum. I can't smell or taste most rums without recoiling slightly. There are a few exceptions to this rule. Most rums are made from molasses and I prefer those made from sugar cane juice/extract. These latter types generally come from the French-speaking Caribbean islands (and will be labelled "rhum") or Brazil (but they call it cachaça). They tend to be lighter and have a fresher or "greener" aroma/taste - like a blend of freshly cut grass and citrus. However, because most other rums are made from molasses (a by-product of sugar production) then I can explain why I generally do not like rum. It doesn't necessarily have to do with the molasses itself but rather bad experiences I've associated with these rums.

Living in the States, under arcane policies and laws about alcohol drinking, if my friends and I wanted to get "fucked up," because that's what high-school-aged kids in the suburbs do to avoid the harsh banality that is suburban life, we had to sneak it out of the liquor cabinet. The trick to sneaking liquor is to go for bottles that are mostly full. Unfortunately, rum was always available in much larger quantities than anything else. Therefore one of us would always pour it into an empty soda bottle, throw this bottle into a bag or coat pocket, buy some "chaser" (usually Sunny Delight) and go to the woods. In hindsight, this was a boring and stupid way to pass the time but it is, in some way, a fitting metaphor for suburban life. As a consequence of all this rum and Sunny Delight over-consumption (sometimes to vomit-inducing levels) I have developed this rum aversion.

However, I can handle rum in mixed drinks - the nauseating factors disappear.

I had a Dark n' Stormy for the first time earlier this year. It was my birthday and I wanted to have a lot of mixed drinks centered around ginger beer. Now that's ginger BEER, not ginger ale. While I do enjoy ginger ale (mixing it with Angostura Bitters is a great sour stomach/indigestion cure), ginger beer has the same flavor but is also spicy. I really enjoy Goya's Jamaican-Style Ginger Beer but Ithaca Brewing Co. also makes a deliciously spicy ginger beer too. So for my birthday I was serving Gin Shandies (fresh lemonade, ginger beer, gin), Gingergrass Mules (cachaça, ginger beer, lime juice), and Dark n' Stormies (Black Rum and ginger beer). I was unsure whether I would even want a Dark n' Stormy but I knew other people liked them so I figured I would be the gracious host and serve some. Surprisingly, by the end of the night I ended up switching to drinking them exclusively. The ginger beer's spiciness perfectly masks what I don't like about rum and allows the rich molasses flavors to emerge.

My Dark n' Stormy recipe, like most others, is simple:

2 shots of black rum (I use Gosling's Black Seal Rum)
12-oz. bottle of ginger beer

This might seem like a lot of booze but this recipe is to fill a pint glass (like in the picture), not just a highball glass, because we have mostly pint glasses in our place. Adjust ingredients accordingly to whatever size glass you drink out of. However, you may as well drink it out of a pint glass because you will want to have more than one if served in anything smaller... and you won't want to chase it with Sunny D.

No comments: