Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Monday, November 14, 2011

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale


The colder, darker days that herald the end of the year also herald the release of some of my favorite beers. The end of summer means Octoberfest beers are around the corner and the end of daylight savings means Christmas beers will soon follow. I could spend a whole post on Octoberfest beers (and will at some point) but the ever-approaching horror known as Christmas has invaded my life again so I will post about Christmas seasonals.

Before Halloween had ended, Christmas movies appeared on T.V. and Christmas displays were built in grocery stores. As much as I disapprove of this consumption-focused expansion of the holiday season, I do not disapprove of the Christmas beer introductions. Most Christmas beers tend to be heavier, maltier and spiced with a variety of mulling spices. From this family of beers, I especially enjoy the Anchor Christmas Beer. Of notable mention is Great Lakes Christmas Ale. However, one can only drink so many spiced beers in one sitting. Obviously, I enjoy this style of beer very much and don't mean to imply that I get sick of these beers. However, it can be difficult to pair these spiced beers with a meal. Furthermore, I like a beer that challenges the status quo a bit. This is how we get to one of my favorite seasonal releases - the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. How is this different from other Christmas beers? While it is also bigger and maltier, rather than using some subset of mulling spices it uses a lot of hops instead - it's really a Christmas IPA (India Pale Ale). Hoppier beers, rather than spiced ones, are easier to enjoy with most meals. In addition, while the IPA is popular it is not a Christmas-style beer - it doesn't stand out as a beer itself, it stands out among the other seasonal releases. However, I must note that I recently tried Santa's Private Reserve again (since it had been awhile and this post inspired me to do so) and it too is a very hoppy beer. However, it is maltier and heavier so it isn't as easy to drink as the Celebration. Nevertheless, these factors make the Celebration Ale one beer I look forward to all year. This amber gift to myself, floating in a pint glass helps to make this season "merry and bright"... even if we haven't quite reached Thanksgiving.

If you are at the grocery store and find yourself shaking your head at the sea of red and green to the voices of Rosemary Clooney and Bing Crosby - keep in mind there will be at least one Christmas display to keep an eye out for.

No comments: