Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Friday, December 2, 2011

Drambuie

Winston Churchill - old man and Drambuie drinker


Occasionally, I feel like an old man (even though I'm only 29). Friday nights are a good reason why. When most people head off to "Happy Hours" after they leave work and plan on enjoying the first night of the weekend "out on the town," I look forward to going home... and staying there.

To further illustrate my "old-man-ness," I chose to enjoy a snifter of Drambuie on this particular Friday while I watched some hockey. A couple of years ago, I swore to drink only Drambuie between Thanksgiving and the beginning of the New Year (not to be taken literally - I drank a lot of water too). I don't believe I had ever had Drambuie before that so I have no reason why I chose it, I'm guessing I just felt the need to make some sort of absurd "holiday" goal. Therefore I bought a liter of Drambuie and, for the most part, stuck to my plan - not every bar decides to stock Drambuie so I didn't always have the option to drink it. Nevertheless, I have to admit I learned to really like it. However, I also realized that most Drambuie drinkers have a lot more grey hair than I do.

For those who are unfamiliar with Drambuie, it is a malt whisky-based liqueur/cordial flavored with honey, herbs, and spices. It is very sweet, but also very strong (92 proof). Liqueurs/cordials are alcoholic drinks that are sweetened and flavored - however, they are not like flavored vodkas/gins/brandies or "schnapps." These other flavored items are not sweetened but their flavoring makes them seem "sweet." In addition, I put schnapps in quotation marks because what most think of as schnapps (an overly sweet, low-proof mixer) is not a true schnapps, which are really non-grape based brandies (i.e. Kirschwasser). Regardless, Drambuie is best as an after-dinner drink or with dessert (since it is so sweet).

Anise, mint, and clove along with the smokiness from the malt are the strongest aromas but you'll get a lot of honey too when you taste it. I'm not sure if Drambuie is made from whisky and these various flavoring agents anymore - it may just be a neutral spirit with chemical flavors and coloring agents added (it would not surprise me if this was confirmed) but it still stands, in my mind, as a great drink.

When Friday night comes and you just want to go home, don't feel guilty - but on your way there, pick up a bottle of Drambuie, some cigars and come hang out with Winston and I. Of course, I really mean hang out "in spirit" because not only is Sir Churchill dead but I will be at my own home... and if it's after 11 P.M. I may already be asleep.

No comments: