Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Thursday, December 22, 2011

North Coast Old Rasputin Imperial Stout


This is my favorite beer. Can't say why it is my favorite - it just is.

A lot of people like to think of the stout as a heavy beer. However, most stouts aren't heavy. Guiness is the beer that comes to most people's minds whenever the word "stout" is mentioned. Normally, people think of it is a heavy beer because of the color but even though the malt used has a dark roast (which gives it a full flavor) it is actually a dry stout - light-bodied, dry-finish ale with a low ABV (around 4%) and relatively fewer calories (about 160 for 16 oz. serving).

But the Imperial Stout is a heavy stout.

Supposedly, members of the Russian Imperial Court were fans of this beer style so that's why it carries the title "Russian Imperial." Some brewers drop the "Russian" and just call it an Imperial Stout but an Imperial Stout by any other name is just as heavy. This beer style has a very heavy "mouthfeel" (i.e. high gravity) and a high ABV (normally over 9%).

Old Rasputin, not surprisingly, also happens to be my favorite (Russian) Imperial Stout. It pours out black and has a thick, creamy espresso-colored head. My favorite local bar has had it on tap recently and the head is even creamier fresh out of "the nitro;" it's a beautiful thing to look at. It has a very rich dark-malty flavor with notes of chocolate and coffee and it's smooth - like drinking a glass of velvet bunnies. It's so delicious and rich that I once described it to a friend of mine as a "meal in a glass."

This is my favorite beer - it should be yours too.

No comments: