Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Friday, January 27, 2012

Boulder Beer Hazed & Infused


You may remember that my previous post focused on my health. After writing it I reflected more on being a "daily (moderate) drinker" and what were some risks and benefits of being one. I found this article on the risks - mostly a greater risk of developing some sort of gastrointestinal cancer or breast cancer (the latter specifically for women). Serendipity also stepped in and I saw this article online from Yahoo!; this is where I learned of some benefits of daily moderate drinking. The most surprising finding (to me) was first on the list - bone density and pale ales. Beers made with malted barley and large quantities of hops(i.e. Pale Ales) have the highest level of silicon. Your mass-produced "pale lagers" generally use adjunct grains and fewer hops so they have lower levels of silicon; don't use fear of osteoporosis as an excuse to drink them (because they are cheap and not delicious - life is too short to drink cheap). Nevertheless when I made my most recent beer purchase, I decided to get a Pale Ale.

I have always enjoyed this unfiltered (why "hazed" is in the beer's name) beer and while it is branded as a hoppy beer, the hops aren't too assertive. Since it is from the States, it is classified as an APA (American Pale Ale). However, using Beer Advocate's claim that "American versions tend to be cleaner and hoppier, while British tend to be more malty, buttery, aromatic and balanced" I say this is closer to a British style Pale Ale (malty, buttery, aromatic), but it's still brewed in the U.S.

Now don't be afraid that this will turn into some health blog and I'll abandon booze entirely. Edgar Allen Poe died in a gutter after a night of binge drinking so I must honor that legacy by continuing to write about booze - if only I could write as eloquently as he did.

No comments: