Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Friday, February 3, 2012

Ithaca Flower Power


On a recent trip to Ithaca, NY I stopped into the Ithaca Beer Company to try some their beers (and sodas). I tried their beers prior to this trip but I always try to go to a brewery in order to try the beer when it's fresh.

It was a miserable Saturday of grey skies and rain and our hopes to hike along the many trails in and around Ithaca were not to be fulfilled. Therefore it became a day of indoor activities. Unfortunately, Martha had lots of law school work to do so I planned this trip to the brewery to at least have a little fun while she worked. In the worst case scenario (i.e. it sucked) at least I'd get to try fresh beer for a couple bucks (since tastings are never actually free - but they do pour you a lot once you start drinking). I tried their beers and freshly made sodas (Root and Ginger beers) and I even took a little tour - which was not very exciting but it was the weekend and they weren't actually making any beer. However, I don't think it's important to get a flashy tour of a brewery since it is the beer that is important, not if I'm impressed when I see where it is made.

While the brewery wasn't impressive, their beers certainly were. Although I wouldn't say I love all their beers, there are some stand outs - Flower Power being one such stand out.

It is assertively hoppy and the citrus notes have a tropical quality to them (i.e. pineapple). Unfortunately the finish isn't as long as I would like it to be (like the rye beer reviewed earlier this evening). In addition, the "tropical" hops can be tiresome and I probably could not have more that two of these in an evening before I'd want to try something else. Nevertheless it is still a very good beer. Plus it is from Upstate New York so it's almost local (for me)!

Now if only I could find their Root and Ginger Beers then I'd be very happy - they make even better soda than they do beer (and they make very good beer)!

No comments: