Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Friday, February 3, 2012

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye


Back in October, I posted that rye beers are hard to find. Therefore when this beer from Sierra Nevada recently appeared at my beer store, I was eager to try it.

It is a Friday so I stopped to buy some beer (as I usually do) on my way home and decided to get this, along with Ithaca Flower Power IPA and Great Divide Old Ruffian Barleywine. I saw this rye a few weeks ago but didn't buy it then because, well, I hate buying a six-pack of something I just want to try. As I've said before I don't want to get stuck with five beers I don't like. It's happened before - Troegs Troegenator DoppleBock languished in my fridge for months before I bought some fresh sausage to cook in it. However, since I have liked every rye beer I've had I figured the risk of me NOT liking it was low. Not surprisingly, this experience has been very UNdisappointing.

It, like the Hop Rod Rye, is a "Rye"P.A. (Rye India Pale Ale) so there is a great balance between the citrusy hops and spicy rye flavors. However let the beer rest in your mouth before you swallow; the spicy rye flavors open up and mellow in your mouth. Swallowing invites the very long and very bitter finish to join you on this beer-drinking experience. Although I haven't had a chance to have many, this is a great rye beer.

There may be another post to follow tonight - it was a long day and I really need at least two drinks.

No comments: