Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Friday, March 23, 2012

Bentley Cocktail

Calvados and Dubonnet Rouge make a Bentley? Shouldn't it be called a Peugot?

I bought some calvados a couple of weeks ago because I'd never had it before. For the uninformed, calvados is an apple brandy from the Basse-Normandie region of France. Depending on the appellation, it can be single or double distilled in either a pot or column still. They use hundreds of apple varieties and some even use a non-majority percentage pears! Like other French brandies, calvados is aged in oak barrels for a minimum of two years too.

I purchased this Roger Groult Reserve Calvados. After a couple of snifters I thought to myself "how else can I drink this?" - since I don't want to let it die slowly. I grabbed my girlfriend's cocktail handbook and looked up, under ingredient calvados, what drinks I could make. The options were limited although, for some reason, I didn't think to look under apple brandy too. Nevertheless I flipped to a simple, yet delicious looking Bentley Cocktail. It had two ingredients: calvados and Dubonnet Rouge. Unfortunately, I had no Dubonnet Rouge so another trip to the liquor store was in order.

Fast forward another week and I have my Dubonnet Rouge now. Dubonnet Rouge is similar to sweet vermouth - it is a sweet fortified red wine that is to be enjoyed as an aperitif, or pre-dinner drink, to awaken the senses. After having sipped the Dubonnet Rouge, I figured that this Bentley would be similar tasting to a Sweet Manhattan - and I was correct. Although the Bentley does not use Angostura Bitters (like a Manhattan) it is made from an oak-aged spirit and a fortified red wine (like a Manhattan):

Bentley Cocktail:
2:1 Calvados to Dubonnet Rouge.
Lemon twist to garnish

Shake with ice in a cocktail shaker and pour into chilled martini glass.

While, overall, it is similar to the Sweet Manhattan, the calvados imparts a tart-apple finish to this cocktail. I wonder if one could make a "Perfect" Bentley using both Dubonnet Rouge and Blanc? Nevertheless, the Bentley is delicious and a good thing to try if you want to swim out of the doldrums of yet another boring, old Manhattan.

No comments: