Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Friday, March 9, 2012

Great Lakes Brewing Doppelrock

The label is reason enough to buy this beer

Springtime is Bock Beer time. The bock, an early spring beer, is a dark-roasted, malty lager brewed to help you get out of your winter funk. The first bock I remember trying was called Spring Fever from Custom Brewcrafters (CBs) out of Upstate New York. This was early in my non-mass-market beer drinking days (when I stopped drinking Budweiser and the like...) and it shaped my sense of what a bock beer was supposed to be like. Ever since then, bocks have been hit and miss. Ayinger Celebrator: great. Troegs Troegenator: not so much. Consequently while I look forward to bocks, I don't know what I should really be expecting from the style. I honestly don't know why I look forward to them so much?

That being said, you may completely dismiss my opinion of this beer. However, I'd like to think that I have too much respect for the style and can, consequently, be overly critical in my analysis of bock beers.

Great Lakes Brewing Company happens to be my favorite brewery. Maybe it's a Rust Belt thing? Or their commitment to "being green?" Or that they just make delicious beer - like this one!

Doppelrock is, not surprisingly, a Doppelbock. Doppel because it is stronger than a normal bock - although it seems as though Doppelbock is the standard so why bother with the distinction? Anyway, it is not very heavy with the smokey, roasted-malt flavors of other bocks but with hints of black cherry, cocoa powder and hazelnuts. It has a long finish and reminds me of the pleasure I experienced when I first had Spring Fever. Therefore it passes my "bock" test.

My only complaint - where's the goat? Bock is also German for "goat" so most bock beers have a goat on the label. Is the guy giving the Ronnie James Dio "goat" in the crowd the "goat" Great Lakes uses on their label? If so, then that is pretty clever.

No comments: