Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Friday, March 16, 2012

Trimbach Framboise

Pour vous francophones you may already know that "framboise" is the French word for "raspberry." The fruit, not this:
Well, I'm not entirely sure if the French don't call this "donner une framboise," but Framboise is also the name of a raspberry brandy.

Framboise is not made only from the juice of the raspberry but of the entire raspberry. The raspberries are pressed, fermented, distilled, and bottled. Therefore you get a clear spirit sitting in a fancy-looking bottle with a pretentious font:


Not surprisingly this brandy smells like a raspberry - the whole raspberry... or a whole bunch of raspberries. However do not be fooled by the smell - it is not sweet like a raspberry. This is brandy, so it has some bite to it but has the essence (if you will) of the... raspberry.

You may think I am overusing the word "raspberry" in my description of this brandy. Normally there are other "hints" or "notes" one catches when drinking an alcoholic beverage. That is because you have a lot of different "ingredients" mingling to create different flavors. However, when you have something that is distilled only from fermented raspberries and not aged in oak, you get nothing but raspberries. OK you have yeast here to ferment the sugars into alcohol but any subtly is masked by the overwhelming smell of (you guessed it) raspberries.

Basically if you don't like raspberries, stay away from Framboise. Otherwise it's a great after-dinner brandy - maybe with a cheesecake... or by yourself on a Friday night with nothing better to do but blog about raspberry brandy. Whatever the situation I'm sure you'll raspberry - I mean enjoy.

No comments: