Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Beerology 2013

On Saturday April 13, I attended my first "Beerology" at the Buffalo Museum of Science - which was the fifth annual event.

My friends were presenting on hops or, more specifically, the hops that they grow on their farm. Having never gone, I was interested to see how the event would cater to the beer geek crowd.  As I've said before, I'm not a beer expert by any means but I do know a decent amount, so I wanted to see if this was an event for those who know a lot about beer and want to know more or "Beer 101 - Introductory Beer."

It was more of the latter.

Now this is not to say that I didn't learn anything at all.  My friends' presentation (which was paired with a presentation on home-brewing) was very informative.  I wanted to attend the other lectures/presentations, however I had been sampling beers since 6PM and their presentation was at 7:45 PM- and they were the first presentation.  Learning and drinking don't always mix.  I say "always" because when I was in graduate school, I would go to the bar and have a few beers before my calculus class; it just made more sense after a couple of beers.  I think I was relaxed enough to just take in "the calculus" rather than thinking about it too critically.  Unfortunately, I was relaxed at Beerology too.  Without the structure of the classroom setting, when my friends finished their presentation I said "I need to sample more beer!" rather than sit and learn.

I admit this is my own fault (not sitting and listening to more).  Therefore, my initial assessment is a little unfair.  However, my bigger complaint is that not all of the the beer tasting stations were staffed by enthusiastic beer geeks.  Some knew a lot about the beers and brewery when I asked questions, but a lot just looked at me with blank stares and just poured my sample.  There were some macro-brew there too, so they just got pretty faces to staff their tables.  This is not to say there weren't pretty faces staffing the micro/craft-brew stations that knew a lot about their beer, but you could tell the macros were focused more on the appearance.  Another "problem" was a lot of the crowd was there to drink beer and mingle - I felt like we were at a bar with a really big cover charge.  Although my VIP tickets were free so I shouldn't complain about that.

The VIP tickets allowed me to go to the "VIP Room" and sample beers not in the main room and eat some food.  Some beers were better than others (Community Beer Works' "Espresso Whale" was the best).  The best part of being a "VIP" - I didn't have to use my valuable 10-ticket allotment to get beer (but only while in the VIP Room)!

Overall, it was a fun night but I would only go again if I could get VIP tickets.  If I do go next year I'd have to remind myself to not sample too much in the beginning so I can stay focused and attend all of the presentations.  Actually, it would be best if they started the presentations sooner.  Regardless, I just wish more of the crowd was as interested in learning about beer as I was.

I think my standards are too high - so it's a good thing I had VIP tickets...or maybe the title just went to my head.

No comments: