Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Friday, July 26, 2013

Blanche de Normandie



If you read my recently published article in the New York Cork Report, then you'll know that I love eau-de-vie.  However, I've been having trouble finding an apple eau-de-vie.  There are German apple liqueurs (i.e. Apfelkorn) but they are liqueurs and not eau-de-vie so I was not interested in buying one-sided liqueurs.

Basically, eau-de-vie is an un-aged fruit distillate.  Although it could be considered a brandy (since it is distilled from fruit) it is generally made using the entire fruit, not just it's fermented juice.  Notable examples: Framboise is made from raspberries, Kirschwasser is made from cherries, Grappa is made from grape pomace.

Researching this particular apple eau-de-vie, it is distilled from an apple cider.  Since some appellations within Normandy can produce calvados using apples and pears, I thought there might be some pears in this eau-de-vie - but the bottle claims it is "100% Apple."  I also discovered that this was one of the most highly-rated spirits of 2007; I did not know this before purchasing and trying this liquor so my opinion was not influenced by such factors.  Regardless, for such a lauded spirits one would think this would be a rather pricey bottle; however, I found a .750L bottle for only $23 at my local spirits retailer.  Seeing as how this type of spirit (i.e. eau-de-vie) is rarely consumed in the States, this is not surprising.  Fortunately, I get to take advantage of the average American consumer's lack of knowledge/appreciation of certain fine drinks.

The sweet aromas of apple and pear are accompanied by floral aromas and a certain rustic "je ne sais quoi."  Like all eaux-de-vie (the "x" makes this plural), there is some heat to this unaged spirit but there is a touch of butter and cinnamon that reminds me of a Tarte Tatin.  I can see why this eau-de-vie was so highly rated.

Unfortunately, I now have a craving for some sort of freeze-dried apple and Chinese cassia flavored cereal.  Perhaps the one advertised here by these two "heroes"?:


1 comment:

Pat said...

I too was enjoying a delicious eau-de-vie last night. A nice home made plum palinka.