Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Aberlour A'bunadh



Let me start off this post by making one thing very clear: Gaelic is spoken in Scotland, Gaelige is spoken in Ireland.

From 2005-2008, I was in the process of teaching myself Irish.  It's a tough language to learn, but the complexity of it made it all the more interesting to me.  I stopped due to the time constraints associated with graduate school so it wasn't from lack of interest on my part.  Regardless, what I know of Gaelige has assisted in my pronunciation of scotches as the two languages are closely related - but they are not the same!

This A'bunadh (Ah-boon-a) from Aberlour is Gaelic for "of the origin" (at least according to the packaging).  In Gaelige, I think it would be As Bunadh.  I'm assuming they chose the name since this whisky is straight from the barrel: cask-strength, and non-chill filtered.

Aberlour releases this whisky in batches - the one I'm reviewing here is Batch 39.

As this is a cask-strength whisky (it is bottled at nearly 120 proof) I feel it's necessary to review this whisky at both full-strength and watered down.  Adding water to whisky changes the characteristics, what they refer to as "opening up" the spirit.  I agree that water does "open up" a whisky, but I think it's best to see how the whisky changes with the addition of water.

It's no surprise that before I added water, this whisky had plenty of kick from the alcohol.  However, I was able to detect aromas of orange, honey, pecans, and oak along with floral hints.  The palate was largely masked by the alcohol but I found the orange, pecans, and some pepper too.  With the addition of water, the nose revealed rosemary and nutmeg along with some cola too.  The peat became the most dominant flavor with toffee and very bitter, dark orange chocolate on the finish.

All in all, this is a very enjoyable whisky.  It isn't the best scotch I've ever had but it is very good.  It was a gift so I cannot have any "buyer's remorse" but I'm not entirely sure I'd get this again.  Not that it's bad but there are too many scotches in this world and I'm only one man.  I've got plenty of new things to try first before I can consider coming back to this one.  However, let me suggest you try it first.

No comments: