Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Monday, September 23, 2013

Clear Creek Distillery Kirschwasser



I've mentioned Kirschwasser a few times on this blog, but I've never reviewed one.  I reviewed a "framboise," and an apple eau-de-vie, but not kirschwasser.

That ends with this post.

Kirschwasser is an eau-de-vie distilled from cherries.  Kirsch is the German word for "cherry" and wasser is the German word for "water:" cherry water.  If you've ever had a Black Forest Cake, a Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, you may recognize the flavor of kirschwasser; it is poured onto the cake after baking.

This particular kirschwasser comes from Oregon, not Germany.  Clear Creek Distillery (in Portland, OR) makes a lot of Old-World style spirits, including eaux-de-vie like this krischwasser, slivovitz, and framboise.  They all have a slightly higher price point than other eaux-de-vie (this .375L bottle was about $26) but they are high-quality spirits.

This kirschwasser has aromas of cherry, meringue, and salty caramel.  It has a delicate cherry-blossom taste and is exceptionally smooth.  I can't believe I've only used this spirit for baking before.  Next time I'm getting something cheaper for baking and I'm buying this one to drink.

I highly recommend this kirschwasser and I cannot wait to try more from Clear Creek Distillery.

No comments: