Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Skinos Mastiha

Mastic tree resin - let's put it in some booze!
This mastic-flavored liqueur recently came to my attention.  I never had mastic before and have been secretly obsessing over it's unknown flavor (unknown to me at least) for a few years.

About five years ago, we created a Turkish feast which included a rice pudding dessert.  However, the recipe called for mastic and I was unable to find any.  I ended up making a baked rice pudding dish anyway, but that's beside the point.  Since then I have always checked for "mastic" in the spice aisle at every grocery store and spice bazaar I've gone to, hoping to one day try that mastic-flavored Turkish rice pudding I tried making all those years ago - but I've had no success.

Therefore when I was told of this mastic-flavored liqueur I jumped at the opportunity to purchase.  Fortunately, they had 50mL sample bottles at the store so I didn't have to commit to a $30, 75dL bottle too!

Sweet aromas of cedar, anise, and pepper introduce one to this clear spirit.  The flavors of this remind me of many other Mediterranean anise-flavored liqueurs but the aromas/flavors of cedar (that mastic flavor I've been searching for) make this spirit stand out.  It's very sweet too and packs a bit of a kick at 60 proof.  This would be much better served chilled on a hot summer night than at room temperature on a cool, autumn evening like tonight.

I'll have to remember that for next summer.

No comments: