Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Shustoff Luxury Vodka

"I'd totally drink that sh*t" - N. Gogol

Nikolai Gogol and Shustoff are my favorite things to come out of Ukraine














I'm not a big vodka drinker.  It's not because I have anything against vodka per se but I do not like what vodka has become to most people in this country.  Vodka is not supposed to be the clean and flavorless spirit it is  marketed as in the U.S.  It's not a blank palette on which one can throw any number of flavoring agents like Pomegranate, Rainbow Sherbet, or Froot Loops.

Vodka (Водка in the cyrillic alphabet) is the diminutive of voda (Вода) which is the Russian word (also shared across the other Slavic languages) for "water".  Similar to eau de vie in French, uisce beatha in Gaeilge, or aqua vitae in Latin, which all roughly translated to "the water of life," it equates a distillate as having some sort of spiritual, life-affirming (or medicinal) quality.

It can be distilled from anything that can ferment.  The most popular base products are grains, potatoes, molasses, and sugar beets.  Each base product creates a different tasting vodka.  Some are distilled many times, others are filtered but the idea that the true essence of that base product can be captured in a final distillate is what makes vodka so interesting to me.  However, most people do not appreciate that.

So I will spend this post on what is my favorite vodka: Shustoff Luxury Vodka.

This is a wheat vodka comes from Ukraine.  I'm not sure how many times it was distilled but it's very smooth.  I've described it to others as "drinking velvet bunnies."  It has a sweet and spicy nose with hints of graphite.  It has an herbal and mineral-y taste with only a little bit of heat from the alcohol.

Unfortunately, I can't find it in my hometown anymore.  However, I encourage you to look for it - you will not be disappointed.