Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

High West Silver Whiskey OMG Pure Rye

OMG!
I'm not a fan of the name, but I am a fan of this whiskey.

The bottle makes a point of explaining the "OMG" in the title - a historical reference to the Old MononGahela River, site of the Whiskey Rebellion in 1794.

OK, fair enough.

Name aside, it's a fantastic whiskey.

It's a 100% rye whiskey (80% rye, 20% malted rye) and I love rye... I may have mentioned it here, here, and here.  It's un-aged so it is a clear distillate.  I had long assumed that barrel aging was what gave character to a whisk(e)y, or brandy, or rum (etc.) but my recent interest in "eau de vie" has led me to trying other un-aged spirits - such as this.  Sure, I could've purchased one of the new "moonshine" whiskies that are now widely available, but those are corn - and I want rye!

Regardless, without the influence of a barrel there is plenty of complexity to this whiskey.  The nose has hints of tropical fruits (banana and mango) clove, pear, cinnamon, honey, pine, basil and fresh-cut grass.  It has some heat but has flavors of dried fruits and spice followed by earthier flavors like must, ash, pepper, and tobacco.  It has a long, dry finish with the clove and tropical-fruit flavors being most prevalent on the end too.

High West makes some great whiskey.  I've had a couple of their others but as I only write about the bottles I purchase, then I am writing about this one.  Nevertheless, this is a fantastic rye whiskey and I highly recommend it.

This whiskey and I are now BFFs!  LOLz!

No comments: