Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Kirk and Sweeney 12YR Rum

I've said it before: I'm not a fan of rum. It may have to do with the molasses-base of most rums: it reminds me of many bad (i.e vomit-inducing) rum experiences. Yet, sugar-cane juice based rums I find a bit more agreeable.

I finished a bottle of cachaҫa recently and the "freshness" of this sugar-cane rum made me consider shopping around for rum. I looked around a bit and I settled on Kirk and Sweeney 12YR, imported by 35 Maple Street from the Dominican Republic. As the Dominican Republic is not a French-speaking, half-of-an-island in the Caribbean I assumed it didn't use sugar cane as the basis of its rum - but I made an ASS(out of)U(and)ME. The text on the bottle claims it is "sugar cane" rum, and as sugar cane may have been brought to the island of Hispañola with Colón (Columbus) I had to believe that this is a sugar cane based rum.

Feeling confident it was distilled from sugar cane (and not from molasses) and since it was only $31 for a 12-year rum, it seemed like a really good buy.

The initial nosing of the glass was really nice - but it gave me some concerns. This rum is rich in notes of toffee, butterscotch, vanilla, port (raisin and chocolate) and... molasses! Perhaps it's the extended aging in charred-white oak barrels (i.e. bourbon barrels) that give this rum that burnt sugar (i.e. molasses) aroma. I chose to look beyond this and proceed on.

The flavors of toasted marshmallow and vanilla are initially prevalent but earthier notes of oak and black tea are most prominent on the finish. Hints of pineapple and lime give this rum that sugar-cane-based freshness that I like.

While I enjoyed this rum, it has an "annoying" sweetness to it. This annoyance is based on my own dislike of sweet booze. It's not that I don't like sweet, or that this rum violates my minimalist attitude towards alcohol but as this is a sugar based spirit aged in charred barrels (and charring caramelizes the saps in the wood) there is a bit too much sweetness for my tastes.

Yes there are some non-sweet aspects of this spirit but if you look at the list of aromas and flavors I list above, most scream out "sweet."

Nevertheless, for its price this was a great buy. While I may not buy another rum anytime soon, I can suggest that if you are a rum drinker you'd probably really like this.

No comments: