Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Drouin Pommeau de Normandie


This is probably one of the best things I've ever had. I'm not exaggerating.

Pommeau de Normandie is a blend of fresh-pressed cider and Calvados that is aged for about two-and-a-half months in oak barrels after it's blended.

The description reminded me of a port (or sherry) so I figured I'd give this a shot

I am really glad I did.

As I expected, it is very port-like. The deep amber color and aromas of candied apples, toffee, honey, tea, nutmeg, and cinnamon are very inviting. It is sweet (but not cloyingly so) and has a rich oily mouthfeel, with flavors of vanillin, mulling spices and dried fruits (mostly apple and raisin). It has an astringent apple-skin finish (due to the tannins), with a bit of maple too: it's excellent.

I hope to try another Pommeau de Normandie (or de Bretagne) someday soon - just so I can compare.

No comments: