Labels

About this Blog

Welcome to Po'Nutrition Fax! This blog is about alcohol - it has nothing to do with health or wellness, and the only relationship between this and Edgar Allen Poe is that he was an alcoholic.

I used to work in a liquor store and developed a taste for all different types of booze. As my collection grew, I felt the need to share my knowledge of, interest in, and experiences with my purchases - from the standards (e.g. whisk(e)y, gin) to the less-than-standard (e.g. kirschwasser, raki). You'll also find a lot on beer (another love of mine).

This is not about how much I can drink nor do I promote over-excess of alcohol. As with most blogs, there is some self-reflection included with most of the reviews. The point is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they drink.

Leave comments or ask questions! Also, "follow" me if you like what you read - I am not making money from this blog but if I see more interest in this and hear some feedback, it will encourage me to write more.

Cheers!
Mike

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Johnny Drum Private Stock

Find this. Drink this.
I've been wanting to try a whiskey from Kentucky Bourbon Distillers (KBD) for awhile now. I had the Michter's "US*1 Sour Mash" Whiskey awhile back, but I already had a few other whiskies in me by the time I tried it so I don't remember much about it. KBD makes a bunch of different whiskies (mostly bourbons) but sell them under various names: Michter's, Willet, Rowan's Creek (to name a few). If you find a bourbon and you are unsure about who produces it, read the label and if it was distilled in Bardstown, KY and has this image somewhere on the bottle (usually just the pencil drawing of the still without mention of the company name):
You've got a KBD whiskey.

Of the handful of bourbon distilleries left in Kentucky, I've had something from all of them - except KBD. No real reason, except they have so many different bottlings I wasn't too sure where to start. Especially if you read the copy on the bottles they all basically say the same thing:

1. Distilled using traditional methods or passed down through four (sometimes five) generations
2. Something about "Sour Mash"
3. Produced in small quantities
4. Aged for a long period of time to ensure quality

If you know anything about bourbon already, none of this information is useful. These are either too vague to be helpful (3 & 4), standard practice within the industry (2), or inconsequential (1).

So why did I finally decide on Johnny Drum Private Stock?

The internet told me to do so.

Of the reviews I read for the four I narrowed down my KBD choice to (Old Bardstown, Kentucky XO, Kentucky Vintage, and Johnny Drum Private Stock) this one had the most convincing ones. The others sound good (I'll try some of those next) but at the proof (101) and the price (< $30) Johnny Drum Private Stock seemed like the best decision.

And it was.

The nose is like some sort of nutty, chocolate-covered caramel. There are hints of spice, smoke, and oak, too. The earthier notes are stronger than the candied aromas on the palate, but it has a long, dark-chocolate finish. Furthermore, I barely noticed that it is 101 proof. It is one of the best whiskies I've ever had for under $30. Hands down. Highly recommended.

The quality of this bourbon has convinced me to try other things from KBD - although Johnny Drum Private Stock might be hard to follow up.

No comments: